Friday 23 March 2018

Sweet Memories: OOP McCall's 8548

Once upon a time, circa 1996, McCall's came out with the sweetest Toddlers' pattern. It had pattern pieces for a unlined jacket, dress, pants, cap and hat. 


Seriously, isn't it the cutest? I picked up a copy of this pattern back-in-the-day and even made cute little outfits for my then small niece and nephews. I don't know what happened to the original pattern, lost in the countless moves over the years, I guess. It came back in my life when I stumbled across an uncut copy in a second hand store. You can't imagine my delight at discovering this little treasure. Of course, I had to pick it up...  


And make something from this pattern. I remade the pants. Little toddler jeans with faux leather knee patches! I had some cotton denim in my stash. Not the kind of fabric that they are trying to pass off as denim in the fabric stores now-a-days. There is no tencel here. This is strong 100% cotton denim fabric. You never see this in the retail landscape anymore, unless you find it in a vintage store. This is the kind of denim that can withstand any kind of playground shenanigans that that a toddler can get into.  


This was a quick and easy project. I really like that the front pants pattern piece has the placement lines for the patch. It even has a patch pattern piece included that you can cut out in your fabric along with a decorative mock fly. It's a well drafted pattern and everything fits together quickly and easily. The challenge came in getting the right supplies. Thankfully, I found all the supplies in my stash including the yellow denim thread and a new denim needle for the sewing machine.  


Fabric:  0.90 metres

Pattern:  OOP McCall's 8548

Elastic:  1 package of 1" wide elastic

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Tracing pattern, highlighter marker, felt marker, cutting table, scissors, pins, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, serger, various threads, tweezers, jean-a-ma-jig, pin cushion, thread clippers and a lovely trip down memory lane.  

Happy Sewing!  



3 comments:

  1. I miss real denim so much! I don’t know how people wear that pseudo denim crap, yikes. That is an adorable pattern, it’s always a joy to make the babies and toddlers clothes. The leather patches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this pattern-thanks for sharing. The denim pants are so nice with the patches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! the patches on the knees make these so special.

    ReplyDelete

Lowering the White Flag: The DVF Reissued 50th Anniversary Wrap Dress / Vogue 2000

  I have to admit, I do like this DVF wrap dress that Vogue patterns re-issued earlier this year.  I'm just sad that this one doesn'...